Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July
What plans do you have?

Monday, November 5, 2007

Thanksgiving Activities To Make Everyone’s Day Fun

I have several specific memories that really standout from my childhood Thanksgivings. The first one I was about 8 or 9 and my older brother (20 or 21) brought his fiancé home from college for Thanksgiving dinner to meet us all. At the dinner table a basket was passed around for us each to draw an after dinner activity. I think Dad’s was “take a nap.” Mom’s was probably “play the organ.” Mine was “read a book.” All were fun things except my brother and my future sister-in-law’s—theirs said “do the dishes.” In reality, all the slips said “do the dishes,” but the rest of us had been cued into make up some activity. Of course, we confessed to what we’d done. But I don’t remember whether that was before or after the dishes were done…

Anyway, you could use this idea several ways:
- A basket of Thanksgiving ideas, where each person draws out a slip and has to respond (i.e. someone you’re thankful for, what’s the best thing that happened to you this year, some thing you’re thankful for, your favorite part of Thanksgiving, your favorite Thanksgiving food, etc.)
- A basket of Thanksgiving chores divided up so no one person has to do all the cooking or cleanup
- A basket of after dinner activities with fun ideas

Here are some more ideas:

Thanksgiving Dinner Table Games & Activities

A Thanksgiving Game the Whole Family Can Enjoy

Kid’s Table Ideas

If you like me are traveling for Thanksgiving, have a safe and enjoyable trip!